Concurrent Session Onsite and Online
TAX2323. Taxation of Digital Assets: Acquiring, Owning and Disposing of Crypto Assets and NFTs
Some of the tax rules for digital (crypto) assets are clear, but others are not. This session will utilize an easy to follow and useful framework to cover basic and advanced topics to help you apply your knowledge of capital gains, gifting, step-up in basis, wash-sales and more in your client conversations – and you’ll discover that whether, when and how much tax your client owes depends on whether they buy a digital asset, mine it, stake it, mint it, earn it, are given it, or obtain it via an airdrop or fork. And you thought you knew the tax code!
- Learn how crypto assets are acquired including through purchasing, receiving, earning, minting and mining.
- Learn what taxable events can occur when simply holding digital assets and when transferring and/or disposing of digital assets.
- Learn how NFTs and crypto loans are viewed for tax purposes.
- Learn the difference between being a hobbyist or a business when working with digital assets.
- Identify the top tax issues clients will be asking you about this year.
NASBA Field of Study
3-4 years in the Profession